Oh my goodness, is it that time of year again? The time for the Fids and Kamily Music Poll?
It is, yay!
For those of you who aren't familiar with Fids and Kamily, it's a yearly event I founded back in 2006 that combines yearly top 10 lists from a whole bunch of folks who listen to a lot of kids music to come up with a consensus list of the year's best music for kids and families. (If you want more philosophy behind the awards, you can read this post.)
Anyway, Bill Childs from Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child has been coordinating the awards with me from the very beginning in 2006. And if I'm doing my math right, that means that's ten years of celebrating the best in music for kids and families.
Now we're tickled pink to get to announce the winners for 2015, led by the consensus winner, Trees, by Molly Ledford and Billy Kelly. The Top 12 albums of 2015 are (in order):
1. Molly Ledford and Billy Kelly - Trees
2. Alastair Moock and Friends - All Kinds of You and Me
3. The Pop Ups - Great Pretenders Club
4. Lori Henriques - How Great Can This Day Be
5. (tie) Renee and Friends - Simpatico
5. (tie) Recess Monkey - Hot Air
7. Tim Kubart - Home
8. Josh and the Jamtones - Rocksteady
9. Red Yarn - Deep Woods Revival
10. (tie) Andrew and Polly - Odds & Ends
10. (tie) Jazzy Ash - Bon Voyage
10. (tie) Vered - Hello My Baby
[Note: this post has been updated to reflect a correction in the list as the Jazzy Ash and Vered albums were incorrectly omitted due to an inadvertent scoring error.]
You can go over to Fids and Kamily to see more, like the 8 honorable mention winners, and you can listen to selections from the top 12 by streaming this week's Spare the Rock, Spoil the Child.
Thanks as always to all the musicians who make music for families, the judges for making their lists and checking them twice, and to you, dear readers and listeners, for supporting and being interested in music for kids and families!